Friday 22 June 2007

The Poets Lament

Protect him whose father is d ead;remove the dust from his
rainment,and injure him not.Thou knowest not how hard is
his condition;no foliage is there on a rootless tree.Give not
a kiss to a child of thine own in the sight of a helpless orphan.
If the latter weep,who will assuage his grief?If he be
angered,who will bear his burden?See that he weeps not,
for the throne of Allah trembles at the orphans lament.With
pity,wipe the tears from his eyes and the dust from his face.
If the protecting shadow of his fathers care be gone,cherish
him beneath the shadow of thy care.

Upon my head was a kingly crown when it reposed upon the
bosom of my father.Then,if a fly settled upon my body,
many were distressed on my behalf.Now,should i be taken
in captivity,not one among my friends would come to aid me.
Well do i know the orphans sorrow,for my father departed in
my childhood.

-Bustan Of Sadi-

0 comments: